Pettengill Farm, a nineteenth century salt-water farm on the estuary of the Harraseeket River, is owned by Freeport Historical Society(FHS). It includes a saltbox house (ca. 1810) on 140 acres of fields, woods, antique apple orchards and salt marsh. The farmhouse remains without plumbing, central heat and electricity and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The grounds, including gardens, fields, and four forest trails are open to the public, dawn to dusk, year-round. We open the farmhouse by appointment and on Pettengill Farm Day, the first Sunday in October. From Main Street in Freeport, turn east on Bow Street (across from L. L. Bean, Inc. main entrance). Go 1.5 miles; turn right onto Pettengill Road. Park at the gate. Walk the dirt road for about 15 minutes to the farmhouse. In support of Pettengill Farm, we welcome your donation in the metal house-shaped box at the gate. Please note, dogs are not permitted on the grounds of historic Pettengill Farm. Download a trail map here. For information concerning Pettengill Farm or to make special arrangements to visit the property please contact us at 207-865-3170 or e-mail us at: email@example.com.